Date: October 3-5 2023
3 days, from lunch to lunch
Registration deadline: August 31 2023
Venue: LUX building at Helgonavägen 3, 22362 Lund
Teaching Methods: Lectures and seminars
Examination: A written paper summarising the literature. The paper should be six pages in a two column format. You will receive a template for the paper prior to the course together with further instructions.
Explaining Intelligence 2023
The examination paper should be submitted to email@example.com no later than ??. Please use the subject “Explaining Intelligence Paper” for the e-mail.
Course Coordinator: Christian Balkenius, Lund University
Extracurricular activities: TBD
< Back to courses
The course Explaining Intelligence gives a brief historical background to the study of natural and artificial intelligence and introduces the two main approaches today to intelligence and cognition
(1) intelligence as information processing and
(2) intelligence as an embodied process embedded in the environment and shaped by infrastructure and artefacts.
The aim is to develop an understanding of the practical consequences of adopting either approach for the integration of AI and autonomous systems into society and the form human-AI interaction will take. The interdisciplinary course lays the foundation for studying AI well as human intelligence and behavior.
The interdisciplinary course will touch on topics from psychology, cognitive science, philosophy, computer science, and neuroscience to give a comprehensive understanding of intelligence.
The main research directions that will be described are
• Thinking as symbol manipulation
• Dynamic models of thinking
• The extended mind
• The predictive brain
After the course the student will be able to:
• understand the arguments for the different views on intelligence
• understand the relationship between artificial intelligence and the cognitive sciences
• explain and discuss different research directions
• understand the consequences of using the different views on intelligence
• work with an interdisciplinary material
Please fill in the following information to register and attend the course before August 31, 2023