Call for affiliated PhD students (Application period is closed)
The Wallenberg AI, Autonomous Systems and Software Program – Humanity and Society (WASP-HS) hereby announces a call for PhD students to be affiliated with the WASP-HS Graduate School.
Due to the current situation, deadline for application has been extended to 22 September 2020. Applications and questions should be directed to Christian Balkenius, WASP-HS graduate school director; via email: email@example.com. Accepted students are expected to attend the initial (virtual) meeting on 28-29 September.
The purpose of the program is to provide the opportunity for a limited number of PhD students not funded by WASP-HS to be part of the WASP-HS Graduate School.
For PhD students to be accepted to the affiliation program, they must satisfy the following:
- The student is currently enrolled as PhD student at a Swedish university, with an academic component of at least 80% FTE.
- The research topic must be in the WASP-HS area.
- The student has started the PhD studies no earlier than 1 January 2020.
- The student has a strong academic track record.
Commitment from PhD student, supervisor and employing university
- The student is committed to take part in the WASP-HS courses and activities.
- The supervisor and employing university guarantee that student will have the opportunity to participate in all courses and activities of the WASP-HS graduate school.
- The supervisor commits to actively contribute to activities of WASP-HS.
- The employing university has full responsibility for the financing of the student including salary, office space, indirect costs, regular travel costs, and travel costs to all WASP-HS courses and activities.
Commitment from the WASP-HS Graduate School
If admitted, the affiliated PhD student will gain full access to the WASP-HS Graduate School on the same terms as graduate school PhD students funded by WASP-HS, except that affiliated students will have to cover their own costs. If the affiliated PhD student satisfies the requirements, he or she will get a WASP-HS PhD Certificate/Diploma. WASP-HS will offer possibilities for participating in courses, arenas, conferences, international trips, summer schools and other activities.
The application should contain the following:
- Completed application form in English Call for affiliated PhD students 2020.
- Student CV (max. 2 pages).
- Supervisor CV (max. 2 pages)
- A letter of recommendation from the supervisor motivating why the student should be accepted to the program (max. 1 page).
- The name of a reference person currently associated with WASP-HS (e.g. member of the board, of the management team or participating in current WASP-HS projects) if the supervisor is not part of a current WASP-HS project.
- Applications must be submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org using the template available in the WASP-HS webpage (http://wasp-hs.org/open-calls/affiliated-phd-2020).
- Questions about this application should be directed to Christian Balkenius, WASP-HS graduate school director; via email: email@example.com
- Deadline for applications is
22 May 2020, extended to 22 September 2020.
- The WASP-HS management team will review the applications based on the selection criteria and make a recommendation to the WASP-HS board who makes the final decision.
- Decisions will be announced in June 2020. Accepted students are expected to start in with the first WASP-HS student cohort in August-September 2020.
Download the application form Call for affiliated PhD students 2020. Please fill in the form in English.