Assistant Professor in the History of Media and Environment with specialization in Artificial Intelligence and Autonomous Systems
KTH, School of Architecture and Built Environment
1 March, 2021
History of Media and Environment with specialization in Artificial Intelligence and Autonomous Systems.
The subject is a novel field of research in history of science, technology and environment. The research field brings together media- and environmental history, critical media theory, environmental humanities and social sciences with the study of Artificial Intelligence and Autonomous Systems. The subject focuses on the recent rapid development of Artificial Intelligence for environmental purposes in relation to the history of environing media, technology, and science in a broad sense. It includes the understanding of local and global environments as resulting from data gathering and processing media as well as questions of access, use and ownership of data and knowledge of the environment, and of how environmental science that engages AI and autonomous systems might affect the understanding of environmental vulnerability, sustainability, and governance.
The duties include research in the subject area. A part of the position will consist of the leadership of a small research group. The assistant professor is expected to contribute to the academic development at the Division of History of Science, Technology and Environment and at the School of Architecture and the Built Environment. As part of this task, the assistant professor is expected to apply for external research funding and to collaborate on applications to external funders. The position includes teaching at all educational levels in the courses offered at the Division to an extent of 20 % of full time. Course development and pedagogical education will be an integral part of the teaching responsibilities and of academic qualification. The assistant professor will co-supervise at least one graduate student. The assistant professor is expected to engage with society, individually and in collaboration with others. In addition, the position’s responsibilities include project management duties and administrative duties.
The assistant professor will be given opportunity to develop her/his independence as researcher and gain accreditation that may allow her/him to take other teaching positions with higher eligibility requirements (see Chapter 4, Section 12 a of the Higher Education Ordinance). Following application, the assistant professor can apply for promotion to associate professor in accordance with Chapter 4, Section 12 c of the Higher Education Ordinance.
An individual who has obtained a PhD or equivalent research expertise is qualified for appointment as an assistant professor. Candidates who met those qualifications within five years prior to expiration of the application period should be prioritized. Other candidates may also be considered if there are extraordinary grounds for doing so. Extraordinary grounds refer to illness, parental leave or similar circumstances.
Grounds of assessments
The assessment criteria for appointment as an assistant professor at KTH are stated in KTH’s appointments procedure section 1.3, and apply in relation to the employment profile laid down.
Of highest importance is that the applicant has
- research expertise in the subject field as decribed, demonstrated through research publications, conference attendance, participation in research cooperation and also other contributions to the scientific community such as reviewer or expert assignments.
- demonstrated ability to research and cooperate in integrative and interdisciplinary work environments.
- potential to qualify for a higher teaching post. This includes the potential for independent development as a researcher and teacher within the subject field in question and also the ability to establish, review and develop the research area in question.
Of second highest importance is that the applicant has
- an interest in and understanding of leadership in an academic environment, third-stream activities, and awareness of diversity and equal treatment issues with a particular focus on gender equality.
- an interest in and understanding of pedagogical development within the subject field in question.
- demonstrated ability to communicate research results to broader audiences, for instance by writing in different genres.
It is also important that the applicant has
- postdoc visits to a research environment other than the university at which the applicant defended their doctoral thesis. In application-oriented areas, experience from research and development work within the industry or other organizations can be considered to correspond to a traditional postdoc visit to another university.
- administrative skills and project management skills.
Special grounds of assessment for promotion to associate professor
When assessing applications for promotion to associate professor, the applicant’s ability to independently initiate and carry out research of high academic quality, published in international publications, and the applicant’s ability to obtain financing for research operations will be assessed. Of highest importance is the applicant’s ability to independently establish new collaborations and research specializations. It is also of highest importance that the applicant has displayed teaching and supervising expertise. Ability to teach in Swedish is a merit that is given great importance in the application for promotion.
The position is part of WASP-HS (wasp-hs.org).
Trade union representatives
Union representatives information can be found at KTH’s web page.
Your application should follow KTH’s CV template for employment of teachers. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that the application is complete.
Your complete application must be received at KTH no later than the last day of application, midnight CET (Central European Time).
Time limitation: The appointment is for an indefinite term, but no more than six years, and may be extended if, due to the teacher’s absence due to sick leave, parental leave or other special grounds, more time is required to reach the objectives of the appointment. However, the total appointment period may not exceed eight years. The appointment is part of the Tenure Track system at KTH and the assistant professor may apply for promotion to tenured associate professor.
For more information regarding KTH’s assessment, see Appointments procedure at KTH
For information about processing of personal data please read here.